Fall is upon us, and winter is right around the corner. Some of us don’t like to think about that, and others of us are excited about the prospect of a wintery wonderland. If you are a business owner, now is the time to get your commercial property ready for the winter season ahead. The results will be money saved and pleased customers!
These great tips will help you decide what needs to be done to ensure the best winterization of your business for the changeover from fall to winter.
1. Make sure you have snow shovels and plenty of ice melt on hand in plenty of time before the first storm hits. Keeping walks and parking lots free from snow and ice hazards will help to prevent slips and falls.
2. Check property for trees with branches that could be an issue and make sure they are cut back from rooftops. Also, check rooftops for any loose or missing shingles, and make sure to repair or replace them before harsh weather sets in.
3. Clean out all gutters, and keep them free from debris. This will prevent drainage backup and possible damage to soffits and fascia.
4. Properly winterizing pipes is very important. Be sure to check recommended procedures for this and have it completed before frigid temperatures arrive. For more information on how to winterize and prevent frozen pipes go to the Cincinnati Insurance blog page.
5. Furnaces and all heating equipment should be serviced and prepared for regular usage before the start of the season.
6. One last tip, Cincinnati Insurance states that you should “Verify that your snow removal contractor has a certificate of insurance.”
Even though frosty weather isn’t here yet, it’s coming. So, prepare your business and it will be smooth sledding! For additional information on preparing your business to fight old man winter, go to the Small Business Administration’s blog page.
We here at the Barker, Beck, Collins and Kronauge Agency want you to have a warm and safe winter this year!